Travel Awards for FOCS 2022
There are at least two opportunities to apply for funding to support participation in FOCS 2022, one provided by National Science Foundation funding
, and the other being offered by the organization Theoretical Computer Science Women (TCS Women)
. Both have application deadlines on September 22, 2022
. More details below:
NSF Support & Google Research DEI Initiatives
Thanks to generous support from the National Science Foundation, there will be a total of $15,000 in support for FOCS 2022 for eligible US-based students and postdoctoral fellows (to partially support the travel for attending the conference).
Additionally, thanks to generous support from Google Research DEI Initiatives, there will be a total of $5,000 in support of DEI efforts in FOCS 2022. The majority of this funding will be available for supporting students of under-represented groups to attend FOCS'22.
For international students, we may have some (although very limited) support.
Reimbursement will be made after the conference (receipts will be required).
To apply, email the information listed below to email@example.com. Please use the following subject line: "FOCS 2022 Travel Award Application".
- Title of paper, if you are an author, and whether you will be presenting the paper.
- Whether you are a student or you are a postdoctoral fellow.
- University name.
- Amount of other funds that are available to you.
- A short statement describing your academic standing and interests, your expected graduation date and degree, advisor’s name, and, if available, a URL for a working Web page. Also indicate whether and when you have attended previous major theory conferences (e.g., STOC and FOCS) and whether or not you have received other awards to do so.
- (For students) a supporting statement from your advisor confirming your status, recommending your attendance, and describing the availability of other funds. This should be included in a message with your name in the subject line which should be emailed by the advisor to the firstname.lastname@example.org, the address above. (Note: vague statements such as “funds are tight” are not informative).
- (Optional) The NSF strongly encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups for these awards. Please indicate if you are part of such a group or at an institution that is not typically represented at IEEE FOCS.
- (Optional) your demographic information
This information (except for Item 8, which is for information only as part of the NSF grant) will be used to prioritize the awards (see the prioritization for awards below).
You should receive an email acknowledging your applications on September 4, 2022. The awards will be announced around September 22, 2022 (definitely a few days before the early registration deadline). Late applications will not be accepted.
Priority for NSF Awards will be based on the following:
- Student authors and co-authors of accepted papers who do not have other support.
- Members of underrepresented groups or from institutions not traditionally represented at the conference who have research interests in areas covered by FOCS and whose attendance would broaden participation at the conference.
- Student applicants whose statements and supporting information make particularly cogent justification for the benefit they will receive from attending the conference.
- Postdoctoral authors of accepted papers who do not have other support.
- First-time applicants and students who have not received other travel-related stipends to FOCS or STOC in the recent past.
TCS Women Support
TCS Women Travel Scholarships are intended for researchers at the beginning of their career, and preference will be given to students at the beginning of their studies. This scholarship is being made available for women and minorities, and anyone who identifies as such irrespective of country is welcome to apply; this scholarship is not restricted to US students. If sufficient funding is available, awards will be given to more senior students and possibly even postdocs. More details to apply can be found here.